Sunday, October 7, 2007

So what exactly is a fashion evolution?

For me, my fashion sense is continually evolving (like many other aspects of my life). In other words, I think my fashion sense today is better than it was even six months ago. And I'm sure that in ten years I will think it's even better! And now a short story to illustrate my point: My 8th grade social studies teacher told the class one day to take a picture of themselves in their favorite outfit and store the picture away for ten years. He said our class could rest assured that when we looked at the picture as adults that we would be appauled. What was my favorite outfit at the time? A neon lime green shirt and skirt set with bright orange and yellow flowers (although where it ended up I will never know). So, fine he was right. But at the same time, I bet that a confident chick could rock the hell out of the outfit if she wanted to . . .it's just that the rockin' chick wouldn't be me. It wasn't until high school that I began to wear clothes that I consider truly fashionable (whatever that means). And even then, there were only a couple of pieces that are still worth wearing. My days of wearing Abercrombie and Fitch logos all over my clothes to fit in are way behind me. But the pieces that I've kept are great pieces and deserve their place in my cramped (but color-coordinated) closet. And it wasn't until recently that I feel that I've really come into my own with fashion. I have a definite perspective (you'll soon see my adoration for the 60s and 70s) and I think I know what works on my body type. But ultimately, you'll be the judge. And that's the best part, I still have a lot of room to grow and I fully embrace the change. So, given how subjective fashion is, I don't expect that everyone who reads this blog will like my style . . .and honestly I don't care. (Well, maybe if everyone hates what I'm wearing my ego will be sufficiently suffocated and I will care, but until then, people who don't like my style can fuck off.) Because I've learned that if you're confident in what you wear you can make utter shit look at least alright and make great outfits look amazing. So welcome and hopefully you'll enjoy the journey. But more importantly, hopefully you and I both can learn something along the way. Cheesy I know, but I wouldn't be doing this blog if I didn't think I could learn something new.

No comments: